Episode 834: Harold Mendez
TOP V. WEEKEND PICKS (3/23-3/29)
1. Make You Make Me March 25, 7-9PM Free Range: 3257 W Lawrence Ave Work by: Krista Anara Cibis, Serena JV Elston, Dylan Palmer, Ndivhuho Rasengani, Katie Rauth, Jasmine Yeh, and Olivia Zubko 2. Dara Schuman: CityScape: Closing Reception March 25, 1-5PM T. Mari...
Episode 833: Agustina Woodgate
A few years ago, we put together so much content in the context of NADA art Fair Miami and New York that we have been sitting on a handful of great stuff (like for years)… And you are going to get to hear it all as we get prepared for Chicago’s EXPO this spring!
Kicking it all off this week Dana and Duncan chat with Miami legend, Agustina Woodgate.
Episode 832: David Sprecher & Jeff Prokash
Language lovers rejoice — the blab at sporkers transmit live to tape from the exhibition Glossolalia, hosted at ACRE (hosted by Drama Club) with our guests David Sprecher and Jeff Prokash. Their collaborative show, which performs a complicated material translation of an excerpt of a Franny Choi poem, is up through the weekend and includes a series of readings this Saturday (2/25/23) amidst and among their sculpture-phonemes. We talk about talking and think about thinking in what Zagat’s is calling “? ?r?li ?re?t ??ks??b???n … w?r? ?sik?? ænd ?si?? ?f ju hir w?t ?ts ?se??? ?ru ?bi?? sin …” and we’ll agree.
Episode: 831 Paul Gray and Gray Gallery
This week Duncan sits down with Paul Gray in front of a live audience at Columbia College Chicago to talk about the history of Gray Gallery, the legacy of Richard Gray, how “the sausage gets made” in the art world, 60 years of supporting artists and what the next 60 years will look like, and Marcel Proust?
Episode 830: Chris Sperandio, Printed Matter, and Max Schumann
This week we come at you live from Printed Matter in New York City with Christopher Sperandio of the Kartoon Kings. We talk about his recent flurry of publications, how the pandemic has impacted publishing and the art world, the potency of Instagram, and the failure of NFTs.
Episode 829: Meg Duguid, Brandon Alvendia, Nick Wylie Post-MDW Local Organizer Rectangle Table Discussion
Wowow! Around an arts and crampy table in an anonymous but lively third space in the Southern Loop of Chicago, some of our top minds and movers convene to chat about past, present and futures of Chicago DIY/DIT artist-organizing. Jesse, Duncan and eventually Ryan — slouches in their own rights — lead by following a disparate flow. A champagne bottle to share with 300 people! Leave a masterpiece, take a masterpiece! Should everything become a library? These notions and more are offered up in a freewheeling conversation that’s not to be missed.
TOP V. WEEKEND PICKS (3/16-3/22)
1. Leah Ke Yi Zheng: Leah Ke Yi Zheng March 19, 4-7PM 4th Ward Project Space: 5338 S Kimbark Ave 2. Kelly Kaczynski: The Particular Matter of a Pisces Rug March 16, 6-9PM Weatherproof: 3336 W Lawrence Ave, Suite 303 3. Anwar Mahdi & Val Schlosberg: A...
TOP V. WEEKEND PICKS (3/9-3/15)
1. Sarah Dupré and Nico Rizzo: Translation of Space March 10, 5-9PM Purple Window Gallery: 2233 S Throop St, #845 2. Sarah Krepp and Olivia Petrides: DOUBLE/FORCE March 10, 6-9PM Epiphany Center for the Arts: 201 S Ashland Ave 3. Soy Boricua March...
Sub-rural #24, Carmon Colangelo
Carmon Colangelo condenses, overlaps, and de-composes versions of painting and printmaking’s abstract plotlines, ones evocative of natural and artificial environments. He randomizes graphic sequences inherent to each medium and uses a kind of graphic subterfuge to...
TOP V. WEEKEND PICKS (3/2-3/8)
1. Alessandra Norman and Liza Jo Eilers: GLORY’S March 3, 8-11PM Yew Nork: 2203 W Erie St, Chicago 2. Molly Joyce: Perspective March 3, 6-8PM Curb Appeal Gallery: Email firstname.lastname@example.org for address 3. Karen Dana Cohen, Jaclyn Jacunski, Cydney...
TOP V. WEEKEND PICKS (2/23-3/1)
1. Shana Hoehn: Basket Toss February 25, 5-8PM Prairie: 2055 W Cermak Rd 2. TJ Walker: My Skin, My Home February 25, 7-10PM Happy Gallery Chicago: 902 N California Ave 3. Latham Zearfoss and Anders Zanichkowsky: Stalagmite Creamsicles February 25, 2-5PM...
TOP V. WEEKEND PICKS (2/16-2/22)
1. Lindsey Dorr-Niro, David Sprecher February 18, 5-8PM Wedge Projects: 1448 W Howard St 2. Shonna Pryor: Of Portals And Pathways II: Fiscal Frontiers February 19, 1-4PM Evanston Art Center: 1717 Central St, Evanston 3. They have to seek it out February...
TOP V. WEEKEND PICKS (2/9-2/15)
1. Clarisse Casalino: Pill Bottles Make Terrible Roller Skates February 10, 5-9PM PRESS HERE: 410 S Michigan Ave #419 2. David Nasca & Ava Wanbli: Soft Bodies in the Shimmering Mirage February 10, 5-9PM Roots & Culture: 1034 N Milwaukee Ave 3....
TOP V. WEEKEND PICKS (2/2-2/8)
1. Michael Chambers and Millicent Kennedy: For Those Who Toil February 3, 5-9PM Purple Window Gallery: 2233 S Throop St. #845 2. Maggie Wong: UNITY February 5, 1-4PM Chinese American Museum of Chicago: 238 W 23rd St 3. Myra Greene: Kept February 4,...
Sub-rural #23, Gerda Meyer Bernstein
Since the early 1970’s Gerda Meyer Bernstein has produced work that tweaks the genetic material of sculpture, installation, and even performance art, more recently in tandem with the late gallerist and friend Ingrid Fassbender, who continued to represent the artist...