October 30, 2009 · Print This Article
“That crisp fall air wafting our way can only mean one thing, and this is the season to discover whatâ€™s happening in Chicago art. So weâ€™ve invited a couple of critics who have their fingers on the pulse of both the established and underground art scenes. Duncan MacKenzie is Executive Producer and co-host of the Bad at Sports podcast and a Lecturer in the Art and Design Department at Columbia College. Lori Waxman writes about the visual arts as a freelance critic for the Chicago Tribune. Sheâ€™s also an Art History Instructor at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.”
Check it out on Eight Forty-Eight’s site.
Breaking news: Art Criticism lives on at the Chicago Tribune! Yes, you heard that right, and Bad at Sports‘ own longtime contributor Lori Waxman (who reviewed several Chicago-area shows for last week’s big #200 podcast) is leading the way as the Trib’s new freelance art critic.Â It is with great pleasure and hearts swelling with pride that we post links to her first two reviews, here and here. You can also listen to an interview with Lori, and learn more about her project “The 60 Word a Minute Art Critic,” on an episode of Studio 360 here. Go Lori!
Hope everyone has had a great week. On this weeks roundup we check out Murakami’s latest video for Louis Vuitton, a new article on Marina AbramoviÄ‡, and Wallpaper Magazin’s collection on Tart Cards. Have a good weekend and hopefully we will see you at the closing of Green Lantern.Viva La GL!
- Lori Waxman has a great article on the Tamms Year Ten mud stencils in New City.
- Takashi Murakami released his new ad for Louis Vuitton, Superflat First Love. Why do I feel like I have already seen this?
- Wallpaper Magazine lets designers take a stab at London’s tart cards. Here are my faves: 1, 2, 3,
- Art Review has a write up on Marina AbramoviÄ‡.
- Disco jail?Â Adrian Searle’s video of the Venice Biennale highlights.
- Want to know what is going on at Basel besides Brad Pitt and his new Neo Rauch? Check out what Art Fag City is checking out here, here, and here.
- IDK if anyone has said this but ThreeWalls has extended their residency and project deadlines until July 1. So, get on it.
- Camera or Voltron? The toy I always wanted.
- The Museum of Modern Art will be hosting a retrospective of Tim “I ruined Planet of the Apes” Burton on Nov. 22
Has anyone gone to see the new Star Trek movie? Nichelle Nichols was a totally better Uhura than Zoe Saldana. She just looks so bad ass in that pic.
Here are some of the stories from this past week. Have a great three day weekend!
- Stolen Moore Now Scrap Metal, Police Say: Bronze sculpture had been missing since December 2005.
- Proximity has posted photos from this years Version Fest and the Chicago Art Parade.
- Studio 360 had BAS pal Lori Waxman discuss reinventing the critic.
- RISD cuts budget to deal with their increasingly low endowment. Museum will be closed for the month of August.
- The future of art museums.
- Frank Lloyd Wright LEGO of The Guggenheim. I was excited at first but $55! It its not even that large.
- The National Portrait Gallery has a video tour of the Francis AlÃ¿s Fabiola installation.
- BTW, Canada was sort of sucking ass this week with two lame news stories. Let us also remember that there are no Canadian teams in the Stanley Cup Conference Finals. Take that Duncan!